Semen Analysis InstructionsThe time from your vasectomy to sterility (ZERO SPERM COUNT) is 10-12 weeks after your procedure. 97% of the patients have no sperm in their semen after 3 months and after 20-25 ejaculations on an average. Both the time since vasectomy and the frequency of ejaculations are important.
When to do:Semen Analysis is performed 3 months after surgery. You must present to the lab the order for semen analysis (provided to you at the time of vasectomy) when you submit the specimen. Please advise the lab to Fax the results at 630-990-4245.
How to do it:You can produce your semen specimen at home in a cup and carry it to the lab in your pocket or a brown bag. Some labs may allow you to produce the specimen on site.
- The specimen must be delivered to the laboratory quickly; in less than 1 hour of the specimen production.
- The lab must perform the test immediately on-site.
- No abstinence is required for post vasectomy semen analysis.
- Write your name, date, and time of collection on the specimen container before submitting it to the lab.
Recommended labs for the semen analysisYou may use any lab that does the semen testing on site. Most fertility clinics do it on site. The following locations are recommended for your convenience:
Reproductive Medicine Institute:On site collection and drop off, please call to schedule appointment at the following locations:
- Chicago: 233 Erie St Suite 307- Phone 312.664.0305
- Oak Brook: 2425 W. 22nd St. Suite 200- Phone 630.954.0054
- Oak Lawn: 5851 W 95th St. Suite 117- Phone 708-741-7012
- Skokie: 4709 Golf Rd, Suite 1000- Phone 847-869-7777
Andrology Lab Services
**PLEASE DO NOT USE QUEST DIAGNOSTICS, LABCORP, ACL OR OTHER LABORATORIES THAT DO NOT RUN THE TEST ON SITE. THEIR COLLECTION CENTERS MAY DELAY THE TEST DUE TO TRANPORT TIME TO THEIR CENTRAL LABS.